Monday, April 28, 2008

Saving for sister/China update

I cleaned out a bunch of pennies that had fallen behind the bookcase in the home office. Waking up early (with the hopes of playing Mario), Nathan comes into the computer room and asks what all of the pennies are for. I told him he could have them for his piggy bank, and he said there were too many for him to carry However, he said he would take them "three at a time." Okay, I said. On the way back to his room, he kept trying to tell me what he wanted to buy with this new found wealth. I kept encouraging him that the piggy bank was for saving, but he should also think about giving some to the church. Then, on his own, he told me that he wanted to save up to buy something for his baby sister. How sweet, I said.

Since the wait for China has gotten astronomically long now, it has been very discouraging for us. It has definitely tested our faith. This, plus the logistics (and financial burdens of the upcoming move) has really dampened our spirits a bit. In fact, we have toyed with the idea of being open to domestic situations, should they happen to arise over the next year. The current timetable for China doesn't have us even having a referral now until late 2009.

It is moments, though, like the one with Nathan this morning that keep us going, despite the every so often "Why China?" comment from someone who doesn't understand our heart or history. It also makes me proud of my son.

No comments: