Saturday, September 25, 2010

Meet Virginia


Meet Virginia.  She's the most awesome little girl I know.  And we haven't even met her yet.  

Now that we've received our LSC, we're supposedly allowed to share information about our little girl.  Wu Jin Jun is her legal Chinese name, and she is in the orphanage in Shanghai.  She is considered a special needs, or "waiting child," as she was born extremely premature (and had other typical issues that go along with that), and had surgery very early to correct a hernia.  She turns three years old in just two days.  However, physically she's quite behind as you might imagine.  Doctors and others who reviewed her profile encouraged us that she has a very good prognosis and likelihood of catching up.  

Sharon and I have decided that her American name will be Virginia Grace Bridges, but we'll be most likely calling her "Ginny."  This was not the original choice we've had picked out for years as a girl's name, because what we had picked out just didn't fit anymore.  Why Ginny/Virginia?  Ginny sounds like Jin, part of her Chinese name, and likely what she's been used to being called already.  Plus, since our first six years in full time ministry was spent in Virginia, where the Lord saw fit to give us our first child, the name had double significance.  Plus, we know a few really cool people named Ginny/Jeni, and Sharon had a grandmother named Virgie.   

What's next now?  Well, the next big milestone is the TA, or travel approval.  In the meantime, we are also waiting for our I-171H renewal to come through, which we should have gotten by now.  And then there's the money thing.  We'll be beginning a fundraiser soon that we hope you'll help us with.  I just finished another grant application tonight as well, and plan to start a few more in the next week.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so excited for you. She is beautiful. I know you are ready for her to join your family. I'll be praying that everything goes through as planned. How wonderful it would be to have her for Christmas. What a present that would be.
Emily King

Lesa said...

She is adorable! Visiting via the WCF from the GWCA group.
I love the name you chose for her. I thought the same thing since her Chinese name is Jin. My mothers name is Virginia; so I totally love it.
Can't wait to follow. Safe travels you are probably in the air now!
We traveled the day before Thanksgiving and were in the air for Thanksgiving...missed the turkey dinner too. This was with our first adoption of our daughter.
We went back last year for our son; who at the time was 3.

Congratulations!!!